An Anglican church in the heart of Stouffville, 130 years young.
A place in our community where families have shared their faith in Jesus Christ since 1882.
While Anglican services may have been held in Stouffville earlier, we do know that they began regularly in 1879. Initially, a Congregational chapel was used, and then Christ Church was built on Main Street and opened on October 26, 1882. By the mid-1950′s, growth was rendering the church too small, and plans were made, under the leadership of Rev. Jim Tiller, Lionel Foord, John Illingsworth, George Williams and Harry Bourne, to erect a Hall which would serve as a church as well.
The first sod for the new church was turned on June 5, 1961 by Miss Elizabeth Foote, assisted by Lionel Foord, Chairman of the Building Committee, and the first service took place in the new Hall on Dec.17 with the Rev. J.L Ball presiding. The original church was sold to Mr. Art Latcham, a prominent landowner, in 1964. The new building served Christ Church well as a place for worship, education, fellowship and administration. By the 1980′s, growth once again necessitated further expansion.
In 1984, Christ Church, led by the Rev Phillip Poole and his wardens Jim Green and John Campbell, saw the completion of a large sanctuary capable of holding 250 people along with office space and a meeting room. It opened in November of that year. Through the hard work of many, Christ Church now had a church which beautifully blended the traditional with the modern, along with a full parish hall. Further commitment enabled the parish to retire the debt and have the Bishop of Toronto, Terence Finley, dedicate the Church in 1994.
Increased growth in the Sunday School as well as lack of office space and meeting rooms, again saw Christ Church embark on a massive building project in 2005 under the leadership of the Rev. Rob Shields. With an “unprecedented” grant from the Diocese and a “Building In Faith” campaign in the Parish, Christ Church saw the addition of a “Great Hall”, new kitchen facilities, washrooms, offices, choir/meeting rooms, stage, and Sunday School rooms, as well as additions to the sanctuary. Another major addition to Christ Church was the arrival of our first a full-time Assistant Curate.
Since 2006 growth has enabled Christ Church to maintain two full-time clergy, a part-time choir director and a part-time organist. As the community of Whitchurch-Stouffville grows, our focus of ministry continues to evolve, reaching out to young families and seniors alike, with the support of dedicated lay people who minister to the sick and shut-in.
The sundial at Christ Church has been erected to praise God and to continue the centuries-old tradition of sundials on churches, with the support of a grant from the North American Sundial Society. The motto on the sundial, “Soli Deo Omnis Gloria” (To God alone be all the Glory), is adapted from one of the five solas that formed the basic principles of the Protestant Reformation in the sixteenth century. This particular sola refers to the idea that God is the creator of all good things and deserves praise for them.
The Christ Church sundial was designed by Donald Petrie and Shane Durnford and donated by Donald and Jacquelin Petrie. It was dedicated by the Rev. Canon Robert Shields on Sunday, September 2007.